Sunday, January 26, 2014

Open Office Space and the Torment of Hyper Sound Sensitivy

Do you suffer from over sensitive hearing? What most people find not even noticeable, I find unbearable. And the word "suffer" is an under-statement.  I have to psych myself up to go into my workplace. Most recently, we moved to a place that of course is cubicles, and very very open concept. The level of noise is surmountable, with more than 80 people in it and we spent the majority talking on the phone.  Not only can I hear everything my immediate 8 coworkers are staying, I can hear people five rows back, clear as day. And what's worse?  I am sitting across from one person who's keyboard makes the loudest clicking noise all day long, but another one who sits diagonal from me, who does data entry, I listen to clicking and tapping for 8 hours a day.

I feel like I'm going to lose it one of these days.

I wear ear phones the entire time and that doesn't even stop the noise, I tried to play white or pink noise but was told by one of my coworkers that it bothers her and I have to turn it off, even at the lowest setting. I discussed it with immediate supervisor, trying to get another seat, but they said I have to get used to it, all offices have noise. I've worked in offices for over 20 years, this one takes the cake.

I wished that someone would understand that I'm not crazy, no I don't have a mental illness and it's actually causing me such distress that I worry the night before in how can I cope with it or bear it for another day.  I also have Tinnitus and I have tried everything. I hear high-pitched screeching noise all day long to go along with the ticking and the conversations.

I'm posting this in hopes that someone out there can help me. I'm desperate!  No amount of hearing tests will detect this, so how do I prove to my employers that it is real?

I've always been sensitive to noise, but this is overtaking my work life and I hate it.

The cubicle's are 4 feet in height with a 1 foot glass window all the way around 3 of the walls. Like I said, I need help!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that contain hateful, racist or otherwise offensive material, words and or attached images will be removed. Other than that, go ahead!